Having spent several years researching the Love Feast, let me offer a list of 11 important resources for those who wish to learn more.
11. Beahm, William M. The Brethren Love Feast. Elgin, IL: Brethren Press, 1959.
10. Taussig, Hal. In the Beginning was the Meal: Social Experimentation and Early Christian Identity. Minneapolis: Fortress, 2009.
9. Witherington III, Ben. Making a Meal of It: Rethinking the Theology of the Lord’s Supper. Waco: Baylor University Press, 2007.
8. Jewett, Robert. “Tenement Churches and Pauline Love Feasts.” Quarterly Review 14, no. 1 (1994) 43-58.
7. Baker, Frank. Methodism and the Love-Feast. London: Epworth, 1957.
6. Smith, Dennis E. From Symposium to Eucharist: The Banquet in the Early Christian World. Minneapolis: Fortress, 2003.
5. McGowan, Andrew. “Rethinking Agape and Eucharist in Early North-African Christianity.” Studia Liturgica 34 (2004) 165-76.
4. Ramirez, Frank. The Love Feast. Elgin, IL: Brethren Press, 2000.
3. Stutzman, Paul Fike. Recovering the Love Feast: Broadening our Eucharistic Celebrations. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2011.
2. Keating, J. F. The Agape and the Eucharist in the Early Church: Studies in the History of the Christian Love-Feasts. London: Methuen, 1901.
1. Cole, R. Lee. Love-Feasts: A History of the Christian Agape. London: Charles H. Kelly, 1916.
Top Posts & Pages